Thursday, January 27, 2011

What is Good Hair???


The topic of hair stirs up lengthy conversations amongst many people, especially people of color. For ages Black people have struggled to maintain their hair. Many of us have straightened it and fried it to achieve what would seem to be acceptable in White America. It is way past time for us to stop trying to meet Hollywood's standards of beauty and embrace our own!

So, what exactly is Good Hair?
I hear people say so many ignorant things when answering this question. Its "curly", "straight", "Good hair isn't nappy hair"etc.




Historical Implications
Many of our complications and insecurities with our beauty, stem from the less than human treatment we received in our introduction to America. During slavery times mixed Blacks with lighter skin and "acceptable features" (hair Included) were preferred by their Masters. "House Slaves" were often spared the harsh labor "Field Slaves" had to endure. (Read my Blog post called Light Skin vs. Dark Skin...) http://t.co/X5sNLs4


Our history has a direct correlation with how we perceive ourselves today. We have been brain washed into thinking that the things that make us unique and beautiful, are ugly and unattractive. This is the message that we pass on to our children when we put relaxers in their hair at early ages, thereby altering their natural God given beauty.

As a young girl my mother didn't let me use hair relaxers... My mom would constantly tell me that "I didn't need that stuff in my hair". I guess she wanted me to love and appreciate what God gave me. I have learned to embrace my tight curls and all of my features that make me a Beautiful Black Woman!!



Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people relaxing their hair or using weaves or wigs!! It's okay, I do it myself. What I do have a problem with is people criticizing coarse hair and turning their nose at it! Black Hair is beautiful! All hair is beautiful!! 

I think good hair is healthy hair. All hair, from fine to coarse textures, that is properly cared for and treated with conditioners, is Good Hair!


What is your Definition of good hair? 
Talk Is Cheap- Drop A Dime On Em!
Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/MsChynaBlaQ

I need your support!! Click on this link (pg 3)and vote for 
J. Weston for Fresh faces 2011!! Thank you!!
http://bit.ly/hf73mp 

2 comments:

  1. What is good hair?
    Well groomed hair, strong roots,smelling good, neat, always in place. Good hair kept.
    I'm sure that is not the answer that some would like to hear. It still amaze me how some people can get caught up over hair. Good hair is all hair, what one should be proud of. Good hair comes in different textures but it's all good. My sisters and brothers we are different, God's spices. Be proud of who you are. So much going on in this world that constant prayer is needed. Don't let the texture of your hair be your agenda.
    Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally Agree!! Well said!! Thank you so much for your feed back and please continue reading. xoxoxoxo Chyna BlaQ

    ReplyDelete